Lacking in visual aides

I am trying to get my arse in gear and actually post something on a regular basis, in spite of the fact that my recent days seem to consist entirely of rain, commuter rage, and procrastination. But someone brought donuts into the office today and perhaps the resulting sugar high is deluding me into thinking any of this is interesting. So here’s some stuff:

• I have knitted things. In particular I have knitted an EPIC jumper of awesomeness, but I do not have pictures yet. So there’s not much point in going on about it here.
  • I have also knitted an excellent shawl, which is not only fulfilling my Holy Grail shawl requirements (unfussy, big enough to loop around neck, simple but not boring to knit, practical shape) but which is made of Pixie Dust and doing a brilliant job of staving off the dank January gloom. Again, I don’t have a picture of it yet.┬áIn fact I don’t have pictures of the last four things I made. Sigh.
  • I have watched things. In particular a film of such mind-boggling awfulness that I can’t be certain I didn’t hallucinate the whole thing in a pudding-induced coma over Christmas. But no, it really happened, and therefore this will be coming to a podcast near you so that you can all share in the joyful horror.
  • I am trying to read more. Between knitting and work my reading time has been shrinking to the few brief moments in bed before I pass out from exhaustion. My Kindle is fully loaded. We’ll see how I do…
  • I am going through one of my periodic phases of trying to put on weight. Which is not so bad, I just have to stuff my face with Greek yoghurt, peanut butter and avocados every couple of hours, but it is somewhat tedious. As pretty much all diet-based things are. If anyone has any brilliant ideas of how I can sneak in extra calories, please jot them below. The Sheep’s suggestion, of a barrel of clotted cream and Guinness, was not helpful.

Right, next on the to-do list, take some pictures of my knitting…

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
This entry was posted in Knitting. Bookmark the permalink.

15 Responses to Lacking in visual aides

1. Vanessa says:

I recommend putting in protein powder in your yogurt. If you get the unflavored kind, you can sneak it into your milk (milkshake!) and in dips like guacamole without too much weirdness! Protein will keep you full and help you put on a bit extra.

2. lydia says:

lentils-I’m really into them right now. You can do so much with them and they are packed with protein. Next week’s lunch will be Indian spiced lentils with just a bit of brown rice. I’d also recommend eggs, just the egg white if you don’t want the added fat, and I do adore cheese.

3. Barbara says:

If you want to gain weught you need to forget the protein and start eating carbs. Anyhting with any sugar. Milkshakes are easy. Develop a taste for a particularly sinful sweet. And then whoa Nellie. Also croissants are good. With hot chocolate. Its not hard. Its really biologically addictive, sugar. So once you start you will want more. If only I didn’t. Sigh. Its all flip sides of the same thing. Gaining,or losing.

Thanks. My problem is I already eat a lot of carbs and probably too much sugar and they don’t put weight on me by themselves, it’s just not how my body seems to work, although they’re helpful in upping my calorie intake overall. Combining them with protein has been more effective for me.

4. Barbara says:

But I forgot to say the most important thing! Welcome back! We missed both you and the sheep!

5. Alessandra says:

I needed to gain weight a few years ago and really struggled. The best way I found was to add to your portions a little every day. So when you cook your dinner, cook for three people and divide it by two for example.

I also put about 1 stone of weight when I went on the pill.

Thanks, good tip. I also do a similar thing where I basically have several smaller meals over the course of the day, rather than struggling with one enormous helping.

6. woolface says:

Cheese and puff pastry. Preferbly combined (Spinach and feta puffs anyone? Mmmmm). But if you want to do it without potentially giving yourself a heart attack i suggest you chow down on plain, unsalted nuts which, unfortunately, can be rather dull so you’ll probably just have to take them with you everywhere and get into a habit of constant nibbling.

Mmmm cheese. Pastry. Cheese. Yum. You’re right though, I don’t want to keel over in one giant coronary cheese failure. Thanks for reminding me about nuts – I have a bag of neglected unsalted mixed nuts glaring at me disapprovingly. They can be a bit like chewing wood shavings, but will give them another go.

7. LJS says:

Nuts and nut butters.
    They are delicious, calorie-dense, carry protein and various other great nutrients, and can be worked into everything – sauces, pasta and rice dishes, baked goods, soups, sandwiches, or just popped for snacks.
    Cream soups & protein bars (with nuts!) are also good.

8. Bea says:

I agree with Vanessa on the usefulness of protein powder. When I was trying to put on weight several years ago, I mixed instant breakfast powder (I used Carnation brand) with whole milk and drank it with meals just as if it were regular milk. That way I could add to the number of calories I was consuming without increasing the volume of food I was eating.

9. Electra says:

If eating nuts is like chewing wood chips, then you are buying the wrong nuts. Try mixing up your own trail mix with cashews, almonds, cranberries, and other dried fruit, and maybe some sunflower and peanut seeds. Make sure the nuts and seeds are not too old such that their oils have gone rancid.
    Or you could put those nuts in a food processor with about a cup of almond or peanut butter and oil, and a cup of dates, press it into a rectangle and then cut it into smaller rectangles, and you’ve got nice snack bars full of sugar and oil and flavor.