Comfort Knitting

For various reasons the last couple of months have been fairly stressful, and now to top it off I’m sitting at home with laryngitis. It’s a little tricky to podcast without a voice, so I’m having to put my Sheepy plans on hold for the time being.

When you’re feeling rubbish, it’s raining outside, and you’re curled up on the sofa, the only thing to do is reach for the knitting. Lately I’ve found that I just can’t deal with anything too complicated. I’ve been making progress with my Season’s Hat, but couldn’t face stranded colourwork this week, so instead I’ve been working on my Driftwood sweater¬†and this afternoon I added the finishing touches.

I’ve added notes to my Ravelry page but, to repeat myself a little, this really is a very well-written pattern. It’s also free!

Comfort knitting for a comfort jumper. I used my favourite (and sadly discontinued) Ethical Twist, in Oatmeal and Mink, however I only had one skein of Mink. Rooting through my stash I found a skein of Fibre Harvest Knit By Numbers and used that as the third colour. It’s the palest shade of their brown base, though it does look quite grey in some lights (and especially in the photos). Still, I’m happy with how it turned out.

Also, I can’t quite believe that this is the first time I’ve woven in the ends properly. I’ve always just winged it in the past and tried to keep it not-too-obvious, but this brilliant post from the Tech Knitter was a revelation. Basically, you’re weaving a duplicate stitch on the right side and the result is damn near invisible.

These pics were taken before blocking, and it’s currently drying on my bathroom floor, but I’m hoping this is going to be a new favourite for curling up on the sofa. It’s soft and cosy; not too heavy; fitted but comfy.

While I wait to wear it, I’m soothing myself with good old garter stitch, and knitting another Cameo. I love the first one I made, but this time I’m after a bigger shawl. I’m using more Knit By Numbers (which is so soft and squooshy) and a skein of Flamboyance Yarn from my stash. I didn’t have enough yarn in two colours so I’m making it in three. Hopefully I’ll finish it in time to take it on the plane to New York on Thursday (yay!) and hopefully I’ll have got my voice back by then!

This entry was posted in Knitting. Bookmark the permalink.

15 Responses to Comfort Knitting

1. Nancy says:

Your sweater is gorgeous! The colors are beautiful together. I hope that it is cozy and that it makes you feel better when you can snuggle up in it.

2. It’s wonderful!! The stripes are fantastic and I love the colour change. I’ve been knitting for less than a year so I love that you think of this as uncomplicated knitting! Hope you feel better soon – love the podcast (I’m new to that too). I’ve been unwell lately too and knitting is just soooo comforting! Have a fab time in NY!

Thanks and I hope you’re feeling better soon. The pattern’s really not that complicated once you get going, I promise! The same designer has another pattern called On The Beach, which is a v-neck without the button placket, and wider stripes which should be even simpler.

3. Sandi says:

The sweater is lovely, it looks so soft. I hope New York is still here by Thursday, you may want to keep an eye on reports of Hurricane Sandy (no relation) as parts of NYC are under mandatory evacuation orders. If you get re-routed to Buffalo, let me know and I’ll pick you up – we can nip across the border and visit the Harlot!

4. Barbara says:

Hoping you feel way better very soon.
    New York will be so wonderful … enjoy!

Barbara :)

5. Maya says:

I’m having a bad day and wearing my Ethical Twist cardigan too! My new favourite comfort yarn is some aran-weight wool from Coldharbour Mill – it’s the yarn equivalent of apple pie and custard, and so soft and squooshy and soothing.

Hope you feel better soon!

Oh, isn’t it so nice and cosy on a bad day? Hope you’re having a better day today. I’ve been wanting to try Coldharbour Mill, thanks for the recommendation, will check it out.

6. Sandi says:

Change of plans – The Harlot is headed for London, but not really expecting her flight to leave tonight. Bring scuba gear, there’s a bit of flooding in New York.

Typical that she arrives here just as I’m leaving! Yes, there are flights that seem to be going ahead to NY today, so hopefully it will be ok. On the bright side, being British, we’ll have no problem dealing with a lot of rain! :)

7. Jennifer says:

I love your podcast! I just found you by podbean last week. I can’t can’t get enough of your podcasts. I am working my way through all of them. I just finished listening to episode 11. You are quite funny! Have fun in Germant. I would love to visit there. Off to look at your ravelry page.