Space Invaders

I’ve been wanting to blog about this jumper for a while, but as it was a gift, I needed to wait until it was safely dispatched.

Little James (as he is in my head, now that he has outgrown the previous moniker of Baby James) is the younger brother of my boyfriend’s godson. Which sounds very complicated, but basically means we get to hang out with the smiliest boy in the world on a regular basis. I knit a little cotton cardigan for his brother a couple of years ago, which he’s been getting lots of wear out of, but it seemed rather unfair to leave him with the hand-me-downs. Besides, every other baby I know has had to put up with my knitting against their will, so it only seems fair that he should be saddled with it whilst he’s still too young to protest 😉

I was looking for a simple, seamless sweater pattern, written for DK weight yarn, and I found Cicada. I knit size 1, but added an extra inch to the sleeves and the body to try and give a bit of extra room for a growing boy, but I probably needn’t have (it almost fits his older brother!). Ah well, what are crazy knitting friends-of-your-parents for, if not to give you clothing that you will grow into?

The sweater is knit from the bottom up, and as I was getting ready to join the sleeves and the body, I thought maybe there was something else I could do with the yoke. A quick hunt through Ravelry led me to the chart on this hat, and voila – a Space Invaders jumper:

I used duplicate stitch for the little spaceship at the bottom and overall I’m happy with how it turned out. If I did this again, I’d either reduce the number of stitches around the yoke, or lower the fair isle pattern a few rows – the excess fabric bunches too much on the top row of Invaders. But I don’t think James is going to mind too much.

This entry was posted in Knitting. Bookmark the permalink.

7 Responses to Space Invaders

1. Lorna says:

This is just lovely! I’m rather scared of colourwork, but I’m terribly tempted to make this for my own little boy: it’s adorable.

Thanks! Colourwork’s really not that scary and so much fun once you get going. Lots of helpful tips around, the main thing I find is to keep your floats at the back nice and loose and you’ll be fine.

2. Glenda says:

Ah, interesting – I wondered why the shooter bit at the bottom looks like it’s sewn on! It is an AMAZING jumper. We love it! Thank you so much. And James will wear it all the time when the weather gets colder. I am a big fan of children’s knitwear with a long lifespan. I’ve just cast on a reindeer jumper for James with the hope that it will see him through two Christmases!

My first attempt at duplicate stitch, so a little wobbly! So glad you like it and happy if it keeps him cosy in the winter :) Also, excellent news that he will have a family reindeer jumper too!

3. Ellen says:

It’s adorable!

4. Sonja Poor says:

Katie, such an adorable little sweater! Congratulations on 100+ episodes. I usually run a bit behind, so only this morning listened to episode 100. I believe I found your podcast almost at the beginning and have been listening happily ever since. You do a fabulous job and I always enjoy. A source of sure and steady chuckles is not to be underrated.

5. Pingback: One more Christmas jumper | Making, Baking and Raking