Day 1: Colour Lovers

Knitting and Crochet Blog week is here! Welcome, if you’re new to the blog, and do check out the other participants using today’s tag 3KCBWDAY1 .

So without further ado, let’s dive right in, and there’ll be a new topic and post every day for the next seven days. This post is quite pic-heavy, so click below to expand.

Colour is one of the most fun but also the most tricky things about knitting. One glance at a shelf full of Wollmeise and I am wiping the drool from my mouth before becoming paralysed with indecision in the face of dozens of different combinations, each one more stunning than the last:

IMG_1709

The agony of choice...

And then I remind myself that, as much as I might like to knit colours a bird of paradise would envy, I’m far less likely to wear them on a day-to-day basis. What can I say, I’m clearly more chicken than peacock. But there’s definitely something to be said for trying a bolder colour choice now and again. If you’re nervous, babies and small children are brilliant guinea pigs (in the nicest possible sense):

Copy (1) of IMG_0294

A gender-neutral green.

P1211395

A bumble-bee Puerperium Cardigan

But you can also find colour inspiration all over the place, from the garden:

P7230880

The delights of Greenwich Park.

IMG_1351

Ishbel shawl in Malabrigo Lace Cinnabar

To the bakery:

P7230909

Mmmmmm, cupcakes!

P9221164

Traveling Woman shawl. Juno Alice Lace in Party Shoes.

Nevertheless, don’t underestimate the quieter colours. They may be rather more modest, but they can still make an impact and are often far more practical. It’s always nice to have a few knits that go with everything:

IMG_0397

Wisp wrap in Kidsilk Haze.

IMG_0393

Hemlock Ring Blanket in Troon Tweed.

IMG_1344

Cobblestone in Troon Tweed

But you know, sometimes, there’s nothing to beat a peacock:

P8190995

Definitely no shrinking violets here.

IMG_1719

Wollmeise in Neptun

This entry was posted in Knitting and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

26 Responses to Day 1: Colour Lovers

1. Natalie says:

What a cool post, that was very inspiring!

Thank you.

x

2. Wow, you’ve made some very pretty items. I love your colour choice for them.

3. Truly Myrtle says:

Beautiful colours – love the silver wrap. I have to remind myself to buy muted tones – the big bright and lovely just leap out at me when I’m shopping!

4. Martine says:

I love that Alice Lace colourway. I normally steer clear of pink for some reason (doesn’t really suit my skin tone) but that is definitely one I could try! Your photography is lovely and you clearly have great taste in colour :-)

5. Siga says:

A very interesting read! I love your colourful pictures.

6. Faith says:

“Nevertheless, don’t underestimate the quieter colours.” — This is my problem. I decide I need to knit with some neutrals but when I go to pick yarn my heart rebels. When there are so many bright colours to knit, how’s a girl to choose grey?

7. Charlotte says:

You make such beautiful knits, and I love making baby items in brighter colours. Who says baby knits have to be in pale pinks and blues? I’m having to wipe my mouth after staring at all that Wollmeise!

8. Maria says:

Such beautiful projects and wonderful inspiration. I’m in love with Wollmeise in Neptun. I’ve been trying to get my hands on some, so I am a tad jealous.

9. Mari says:

The wall of yarn by color is pretty cool. Is that your LYS?

Hi Mari. It would be very dangerous for my wallet if it was! No, it was part of the Wollmeise stand at Knit Nation.

Thank you everyone for all the lovely comments!

10. Ana BC says:

Delicious !!!
    Great to find you @ Blog Week
    Ana BC

11. Michelle says:

I feel like socks don’t count on the color palette. I mean, if you are the only one who is going to see them (or just about), you should be able to go crazy, right? That is my philosophy!

12. Faithr says:

I take it you made all those lovely knitted things…..I love colour (although I don’t wear rainbows, I tend to make blankets!) and I love all forms of it…..I love that Troon tweed, it is gorgeous!

Lovely post, looking forward to reading more through the week!

13. josiekitten says:

That’s such an interesting post, you’re absolutely right about not ignoring some colours. I was like a child in a sweetshop when I saw all the Wollmeise at Knit Nation, but I actually haven’t knit any of it yet!!

14. Ronnie says:

Love the post, I have the excitement about the colors when walking into a yarn store and then the same fear of what to buy and I don’t even make clothing items!
    Beautiful display of colors!

15. Ronnie says:

Beautiful display of colors!

16. Kell says:

I couldn’t stop staring at your Ishbel. It’s so beautiful. And the Wollmeise nearly stopped my heart. Agony of choice is right!

17. Snowcatcher says:

My goodness, did you ever make me drool. Not only with the beautiful WM colors, but your knitting is exquisite!

18. Karen says:

I love the ‘Wisp’ and as I have some kidsilk haze in my stash feel very inspired to cast on……

19. Jen says:

Man, this is a gorgeous post. Your work is perfect and I love how you portrayed such various color inspirations. I am like you in that I love the brights as well as the soft colors. It all works!

20. Sarah R says:

What a yummy post, I particularly like the colourful cupcakes….

21. Kepanie says:

I can see why you drool over Wollmeise. I don’t believe I’ve ever used that yarn. Shoot, I’d have to take one of each from that shelf!
    I agree how children can be guinea pigs. I think they can pull of anything.
    I so love that Malabrigo Cinnabar you used. And that Neptun? Ho boy is that peacock fabulous.
    Okay and the fact that you knitted that much with that Kidsilk Haze? Like seriously? Amazing! I’ve made one project some time ago w/that yarn. I wanted to fiercely burn it! I was able to get the hang of it and completed the lace cowl, but I’m not sure I can try it out again.

22. moleymakes says:

Oh my golly gosh!! All those gorgeous colours …. I think I’lll join you in the drooling session (where’s that bib) I’ve yet to experience even smooshing Wollemeise, I really need to visit Loop some day.

I love the colours used for the shawls. So beautiful. I’m not a wearer of bright colours much, apart from socks. I think you can be really daring with colour when it comes to socks. Nobody really sees them so you can go wild and it doesn’t matter if the colour doesn’t go with your skin tone.

23. Sandy says:

The shawl………the one that matches the roses….on my would love to wear that one. Gorgeous.