I have 11 inches of Charmed Sweater:
I did the hem using some of the same New Lanark wool I had, but in a DK weight. I did a knitted cast on with 5mm needles, then switched to 4mm needles and knit for 2″. Then I changed to 5mm needles and the main yarn and, once it was long enough, seamed the hem by knitting the cast on edge stitches together with the stitches on the needle.
It’s created a smooth, seamed hem, without the hassle of a provisional cast on, or starting with 90% of your stitches and increasing (thanks to people on Ravelry and in the comments who had previously done this. Yay for helpful project notes )
Meanwhile, the distraction has been dealt with, as I finished my sleeve-lengthening project on my Bliss jumper last night – just in time for the snow that’s forecast to arrive any moment now. A wash seems to have evened it all out; I’m waiting for it to dry before I take some pictures.