Stitching mySelf

So, Stitch London have this cool project where you knit/crochet/felt a little version of yourself, and it gets sent along to the Science Museum for the re-opening of their ‘Who Am I’ gallery.

The fabulous Deadly Knitshade wrote a knitting pattern, so I figured, how hard could it be to make? Fiddly perhaps, but easier than a full-size garment.

WRONG!

Well actually no, not entirely wrong. I mean, there’s really nothing that difficult about it and the pattern is very good and then there’s loads of space for you to make it your own. But it’s so small. And fiddly. And needs so many little bits and ends to weave in and-

Ok enough. Cos I know all you really want to see is how it turned out….

A very woolly Hoxton

Ironically, as in life, I look at Mini-Me and all I see are the things wrong with her. Or rather not-quite-right about her.

Firstly, she doesn’t really look like me. Well I suppose the hair helps. And the gangly limbs are definitely me. The clothing is made up of yarn with which I have knitted myself things, but it’s not an actual outfit I own. The top is also a bit rubbish and she has no shoes. The headphones kind of look like an alice band. And the microphone could be an ice cream or a pencil, but hey, you get the idea, right? On the plus side, the grey jeans are pretty accurate.

So I shall stop moaning, and cursing, and gnashing my teeth (isn’t gnashing a great word?) and try to enjoy my mini-podcaster.

Whether she’s having a sit-down after one gin too many:

Or eagerly podcasting knitting goodies with the Sheep:

For more fantastic Stitched Selves, check out the Flickr group.

This entry was posted in Knitting and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

7 Responses to Stitching mySelf

1. Ursa says:

you look so cute!! nice work :-) can’t wait to hear your new podcasts after your little break – i know that need for a break, oh yes. i’m due for one in the next six weeks myself, a break from being an indie dyer. need some summertime relaxation and fun!

best,
    Ursa
    (GaiasColours on Ravelry, formly RoaringBravado)

2. Diane says:

Thank you for posting the pictures. She is adorable. You are too hard on yourself. she looks like she was a fun project to do. Anxiously awaiting your return to podcasting from your much needed break. I am a Great Grandma podcast listener on the east coast of Pennsylvania, USA. Love your podcast and a big thank you to you.

• katie says:

Ah thanks for the Stitched Self love everyone. Yes, she’s growing on me, and I’ve now posted her off to Stitch London Towers to join the Stitched masses…. And hello Diane! – very impressed with the Great Grandma status and it’s lovely to have lots of family. I miss the older generations in mine, so yours are lucky to have you :)

3. Melissa says:

Hi Katie!

She looks fantastic!!
    how did you do the hair? I had so many hair and face issues with my stitched self.
    I think it took at least three tries for each thing!

I love your mini podcaster; she’s very stylish in her barefootedness and kid silk haze ensemble. :) I’m really looking forward to seeing the pics of the exhibit at The Science Museum it looks to be pretty amazing thus far.

Melissa (mizelissa)

4. Kristin says:

That is the cutest thing ever!!! I totally got that it was a mini-you pod-casting away– before I even began reading your post. And dare I request for a life-sized pattern version of said top/skirt?

– K :)

PS. Can’t wait for the new podcast episodes!

5. sonja poor says:

Gnashing is a fabulous word. And speaking of fabulous….that’s how your podcaster mini me looks. Great job and a neat project.

6. Natknit says:

Adorable! And I love the yarn choices for the clothing. The resulting textures are great! I like the idea of a knitting community no matter where it is fashioning little versions and interpretations of themselves.